Sustainable Furniture, Our Commitment to Sustainability
EVEN IN BLUE, MAINE COTTAGE IS GREEN
Maine Cottage® is committed to preserving the resources of our world for future generations. It is our corporate goal to minimize the environmental impacts of our company operations through the continual improvement of waste reduction and use of sustainable materials and practices.
Our standard upholstery is made domestically with the following world-friendly components:
1. Kiln-dried frames made from responsibly harvested hardwoods from domestic suppliers. Our manufacturer is a certified member of the Appalachian Hardwoods Manufacturing initiative (www.appalachianhardwood.info)
2. Eight-way hand-tied coil springs made from approximately 50% recycled metal
3. Water-based wood adhesive with no VOC (volatile organic compound) emissions
4. Seat deck and trim pad made from 80% regenerated fibers
5. Foam padding and foam seat cushion cores made from at least 10% natural plant-based ingredients, such as corn or soy
6. The majority of our fabrics are made from 100% renewable plant and natural-based fibers such as cotton and linen
Our painted furniture is built domestically and painted with the care and quality materials that enable it to maintain its value over time. The woods we use—maple, poplar, and maple veneers—were chosen because of their durability and sustainability. The strong materials and sturdy building techniques we employ are intended to ensure our furniture stays true for generations. The solid wood our builders use is certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) to come from well-managed forests that continually replenish trees for harvest.
Maine Cottage finishes deliver superior durability, extraordinary depth, and vibrancy of color. We use the highest quality primer, lacquer, and clear top coats available while still being friendly to the environment. Paints are all California compliant and low VOC as compared to other industry pre-catalyzed lacquers. Maine Cottage® paint finishes offer a high level of resistance to water, changes in humidity, and daily wear and tear—protecting your furniture from life’s little mishaps.
When sourcing products and vendors that extend beyond furniture production we are conscientious about entering into agreements with companies who share in our commitment to ecological balance and organic sustainability.